Ways to ensure you have a content cat
Some may think that their cat wants to go outside, or think that their feline is a street-savvy adventurer at heart, but cats can and should have all the resources they need to be their happiest inside. Here are the essentials for keeping your cat active in the great indoors.
- Provide a variety of toys that can provide enrichment through interactive play. Rotate toys to stimulate their imagination, while providing new “prey” to hunt.
- Offer appropriate places to scratch, such as posts or pads, so your cat can happily stretch, file their claws, and mark their territory.
- Create safe space to jump, hide, and perch, like trees or shelving (bonus points for placing cat trees near windows or patches of sunlight).
- Bring the outdoors in by growing your catnip or cat grass.
- Safe, and short, strolls are always an option too! You can train your cat to go on walks, using a harness and leash, or just cruise the neighborhood with a pet stroller. Be sure to pick safe spaces to explore, and confirm that your cat has anti-parasite treatment and up-to-date vaccinations before heading out.